Friday, September 13, 2013

Day 1- Weird things you do when you're alone.

I really want to start blogging again, but I just haven't felt motivated to start. I found a little 30 day challenge questionnaire on Pinterest and I think it will be a fun way to get me back into it, so here it goes.

Day 1- Weird things you do when you're alone.

First of all I am rarely alone. I always have Cutecumber with me during the day, and even when I run errands in the evening, when the kids are out of school, one usually tags along. On the weekends I do get to hit a couple of thrift stores alone (usually) and the trip goes something like this:

I get out of bed and "freshen up" my PJs. That is a step below getting dress. This usually consists of me putting a bra on under the t-shirt I wore to bed, changing into jean capris (my bottoms of choice) and throwing my hair into a ponytail, sliding on some flip flops, a quick face and teeth cleaning, a little deodorant and I'm out the door! I think I rush it because I want to go before anyone notices I'm leaving. If Cutecumber sees me getting dressed, I get the "Where are you going? Can I come?" and if the others see me it's "Will you pick up ____ for me while you are out?" It's my only "me" time and these things ruin my vibe!

First thing I do is turn the radio from Kids Place Live to XM9!  Usually a song from the 90s brings me right back to who I was before kids, before marriage. A really selfish time in my life that was all about me. It sets the mood! And I belt it out, especially the songs that I normally wouldn't play with the kids in the car. CAUSE I CAN!

"...REGULATORS! Mount up! It was a clear black night, a clear white moon..."

*I can sing that whole song word for word. Ms. Thang caught me once. She was shocked..I felt amazingly cool, her omgosh-my-mom-is-such-a-nerd face did not phase me at all. 

I hit up Helping Hands first. I have this route that I always take through the store. Basically I leave the home decor (my fav) for last. I usually rush a big circle around the rest of the store, glancing at a few things, but I'm in a hurry to get to the back, where I spend 90% of my time and buy most of my items. I am slightly oblivious to everyone around me (aside from making sure people can get by) and I pick up lots of things, hold them up, turn them over and figure out what exactly they are for, or what I could use them for. I talk to myself A LOT. It's not so bad if Cutecumber is with me because I can pretend to ask her things (although I did this even when she was unable to talk). The fact that she can  doesn't make much of a difference. She's learned to ignore me. I answer for her and when she isn't there I answer my own questions.

"Would this shelf hold fingernail polish?" "No, I think it's too short."

Don't worry, I whisper it. I'm not "full blown" crazy.

After I'm done there, I usually want a snack or breakfast that I don't have to share. I love the bacon egg and cheese tacos at the donut place that used to be a Taco Villa (way back!) that sits across Midland Dr. from Goodwill. It takes them a little while to make it so I usually have to pull around to the front and wait.

"Can't stand it, I know you planned it. I'm gonna set it straight, this watergate...."

Oh, you startled me. I didn't see you bring my order around. Hope my singing skills didn't intimidate you...

 Then I drive across the street to Goodwill and I do a parking-lot-scarfing of my breakfast. Taco gone in 4 giant bites, rinse it will OJ. I pop a breath mint and head inside. Same routine as Helping Hands, except that I end up in the toy section and I always try to  grab a little something for the kids. It's a  transition back into my real life where it isn't all about me. Even though the kids have learned that I don't always walk in the door with gifts, the truth is,  they are hoping I have something for them. The rushing to the door, eyeing my bags for clues as they try to hide their suspense with "You're home!"  showering me with hugs.  I like to be the good guy after a good morning. I love coming in the door and confirming that I do, in fact, "have something for you guys!" :)

There is also the rare occasion when I have an evening to myself once the kids all go to bed and my Honey turns in early as well. Nothing interesting there, I just watch a little Netflix (Scrubs, Parenthood) enjoying the moment until my head jolts up from that "almost falling" feeling you get as you start to nod off on the couch. I really need more alone time....






1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...