I was thinking the living room could use a touch of fun fabric and seeing this ottoman outside, I decided to recover it. Now, I should say that I have had a lot of trouble when it comes to picking fabric prints that work well together in a room. That's why most of my throw pillows, blankets, curtains etc.. are solids.
Yes, I am foreshadowing. This project did not go as I had hoped. And it started out so well!
I found a few reupholstering blogs on pinterest, specifically for these storage ottomans (originally from Target for $20 and if you are interested in doing one yourself (which I doubt after you see mine finished) there is one on Craigslist right now. It's even pink.) anyway, the tutorials were great. I looked up a bunch of fabric inspirations on pinterest as well and came up with these.
Here is my fabric. Pretty close right?
Ok ok...I'm procrastinating the bad ending. Back to the ottoman... so the fabric seemed ok. I was hopeful but leery because, as I said before, I have trouble when it comes to working patterned fabric into a room.
The tutorials online were great and with one quick seam (made a giant tube to go around the box) and my staple gun, I was done in a flash.
but the ottoman looks wrong. boxy next to boxy. It's the stack of Christmas gifts I don't feel like opening. lol
At least someone loves it...
I whipped up a couple of other projects to make myself feel better. I found 3 fabric covered canvases for under $1 each at Helping Hands. I ripped off the fabric (FYI, hot glue peels right off canvas) and used one of them to show a little Beatles love on the mantle..
I still have two more canvases to play with. One is really narrow and long rectangle, the other is about a 10x13 or something. I thought about painting a lucky horseshoe to put above a door, but then I started wanting a real horseshoe and painting it a fun color. A fun solid color, because patterns are not my thing....