Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Glass jars yet there is no where to recycle them here. I gave a lot to a woman on freecycle during Christmas. She was making gifts out of them. I hope she does it again this year.
Gift bags but I do reuse them. There are some that have been given back and forth in my family for years. I got a Mother's Day gift in one this year that had been given to me by my mom for a birthday and then to my MIL for her birthday. It was like seeing an old friend.
Bibles, crosses, and even the free Jesus movie everyone got in the mail. Religious guilt plays a role here and I have accumulated more than you would think. I live in the south and small bibles are even handed out at Halloween. lol
Photographs of anyone. Even a picture I got in a Christmas card of a friends niece I've never met, or a blurred picture of my cat's tail when you used to have to print the whole roll.
Eye shadow which I rarely wear. I've had some for at least 6 or 7 yrs and used once or never at all. Sometimes I think I'll start doing the make-up everyday thing, but it hasn't panned out yet.
Broom handles which I leave in the garage. I always think I'll use them for something. Maybe I can make a jousting stick and my honey can be an American Gladiator for Halloween. All I need is an awesome flag print spandex suit in XXL.
What do you hang on to?
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
While I have a minute, here are a few cute retro fruit things I've got my eye on. Say it again with me cause it's fun- A few cute retro fruit!
Lemony fresh apron. If I get this, I am buying yellow pumps and taking pics! lol
There are also some really cute crocheted and felt fruit for play kitchens at Esty.com. The scientist plays in the kitchen a lot, but he would ruin the food in a heartbeat making "concoctions" that include water and other liquids. I'll have to wait until Cutecumber is a bit older to get my hands on these.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Monday, May 11, 2009
I asked him "Why did you stick these here?" and do you know what his answer was?
"Mom, collections make people interesting."
Trying to muffle a laugh, I told him he had to peel them off and throw them away because they were from "forbidden fruit" and that he could start a new collection in a book from fruit he was allowed to eat. It seems a little cruel after all his hard work snacking and sticking, but I am Mom after all and it's my job to be a kill joy.
He's been really great about cleaning his room ever since I made "The List" which I have taped to the back of his door now. I don't remember who exactly suggested it, but I know it was someone from my Mommy Message Board. I was getting extremely frustrated at the day-long event cleaning his room had become. He'd rather lay in bed all day than clean! It seems that it was actually a case of being overwhelmed and not knowing where to start, so a detailed list helped him tremendously!
Here is his list:
1. Throw out the trash. I hate to admit that the kid sips on Capri sun and Roarin Waters throughout the day and is really bad at leaving the empty packets on his floor, but I was sure to include a picture of that specifically on his list lol
2. Stuffed animals. My oldest lucked out because most of the stuffed animals they play with regularly have ended up in the scientists room. She instigates many "vet and pet" games, yet he is left with the mess. I tried to make it easy with a giant net hamper just for those. The two pictured are actually animals he owns. (Monkey M and Bacon)
3. Cars and tracks. This includes Shake and Go, Hot Wheels, Wooden train set, Lincoln Log track set, Match box, Transformers, and any other cars. This is probably 70% of his toys right there.
4. Shelves. He has certain things on display. Mostly things he plays with regularly that would get lost or broken in the toy box. The weird thing pictured with Buzz is an odd toy collection he started after finding one in a big box at a thrift shop. He calls them Googles but I really have no idea what they are. He has one large one and it is ANNOYING! It's the first thing he looks for at garage sales lol
5. clothes- He's almost as bad as the girls as far as leaving clothes on the floor. His usual uniform is a pair of boxer briefs ONLY, so most clothes are worn for a second and tossed on the floor as soon as we come home. I'm trying to work on that habit before school starts. I can just see the notes he'll bring home.
6. He has a ton of tiny toys that he keeps in an old diaper wipes box. He also has a ton of tools so I paired the two together here. Did you know he actually pressed a plastic screwdriver into a screw head so hard that it made the impression and proceeded to take apart his bed when he was about 3yrs old? True story.
7. Legos. Every shape and every size. The toy that is worth every penny.
8. That is actually the toy box he owns. This means everything that doesn't have it's own home needs to be thrown in here. Once a month or so, I dump it out and go through it. I'll spare you details of things I have found. Boys are DISGUSTING!
9. The Fort. His bed is a loft bed and under it he keeps most of his larger toys like the garbage truck pictured and other cars, robots, and a million and one flash lights. They each have their place though. That is actually the picture of his bed when I saw it on Craigslist.
10. Come get a hug. I am big on rewarding good behavior, showing love, and free stuff. Perfect!
Funny, as I am posting this, thinking I may help other moms who struggle in this area, feeling pretty proud of myself as a parent, I turn around to see my son watching Sponge bob in the den, eating my cookies and avoiding his room. Hmm, and then I realize I'm in here typing this while I should be cleaning the kitchen. I guess he doesn't get everything from his fathers side. :P
Saturday, May 9, 2009
And just as I am typing this, my honey calls me outside to take a look at something by our back door. I'm surprised my honey even saw it. It's so little, but you could tell by the way it was moving, that it was not a worm. It is a tiny baby snake! (anyone know what kind?) It's really shiny and almost purple, with little black eyes. It's about 5 inches long. Ughhh. You know where there is one baby there might be...nope. I'm not even going to think about it!
One more creepy crawler for you:
I'm going to end this here. I feel things crawling on me. *shiver*
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Speaking of kids, the scientist (who is officially enrolled for Kindergarten next school year!) is begging me to play a game of Sorry. I can't wait to see what new rules we have this time. You know, the rules that only work in his favor. The child shows no mercy!
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Good things are happening in my life. I feel like I have worked very hard to make good choices and I'm reaping those benefits. I'm still fat, need a routine, and more friends, but the people that I hold close are awesome, and overall my life is "purt-neer" perfect.
You know the point of this blog is to watch me grow and branch out of the house, but when Easter came along, I looked around and realized how great my family is all over again. No wonder they are my best friends and I don't feel the need to leave home much. I know in time they will all be living their own lives and I need some socialization so that I don't wind up rocking in the fetal position with a horrible case of "Empty-nest-syndrome", but I don't feel like a social outcast for wanting to make the most of being home with my family any more. I think I was panicking over the idea of needing to get out more, more than panicking over actually needing to get out.
I think I'm going to deal with that as needed and for now, I just don't NEED to have a girls night out. I'm sort of over that for now. I'm sure I'll need that when I'm less fulfilled at home, but for now, I'm good. :) Gotta love spring and all it's epiphanies and new beginnings. But don't mistake epiphanies for "changing overnight" right mom lol.
Anyway here is some Brief and Random News:
-repainted the Scientists room. It's currently gray and boring, but he has requested a robot factory/science lab. You know I'll post pictures once that odd combination hits the walls lol.
-My honey brought me flowers for no reason! And our night life is finally picking up now that Cutecumber is sleeping out of our bed on a more regular basis.
-Bought Miss Thang a new webkinz (Jack Russel) and one for me(Zebra), and even got a little one for a friend of hers that stayed over this weekend (a bear). Really sweet girl too. Here they are in the pool yesterday. I promise Miss Thang doesn't have painted on hair and is not missing arms. Her friend does indeed have eyelashes, and arms as well. The Scientist is actually a floating head as pictured. :P
-Remembered I suck at singstar, but man I can get the scores! I always think I know a song better than I actually do. "It's tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time. It's tricky, tr-tr-tr-tricky trrrrrrrrrrricky" Yeah... then what? lol
-Grew a turtle in a giant pickle jar. It was one of those things that starts out small and grows over the span of a few days. As a kid, my brother had one that was a Gremlin. Wonder where that is now? Land fill? Donation box shipped to Africa? half eaten by sea life on the bottom of the ocean floor?
-My honey took some vacation time and did a bunch of "honey-dos"! YAY
-Heard Susan Boyle has the Swine Flu (I watched a little tv this week lol)
-Cutecumber is crawling!
Oh I added a new Song of the Month (see righthand side), and you can find the video on youtube, but apparently she's picky about letting people embed it, so no motion to mine.
I chose it because 1) it's catchy, 2)I read a bit about her on the net and she's rather interesting, and 3) as it was playing in the car repeating "poker face", my son was singing along and then says, "That's not nice is it mom? We don't poke peoples faces." :P
I'll try and post more so I don't bombard you with one LONG entry again. I'd rather nickle and dime you to death with little nothings everyday.