Thursday, December 10, 2009

New addiction

Couponing! I have always envied the girls that bragged about saving $50-$100 off their groc. bills, but I always thought they were buying things they didn't need, or getting 50 cents off of a name brand item when they could have saved $1.00 buying the generic in the first place. I could sometimes save a couple of dollars here and there, but it seemed that there were never coupons for what I bought, or it wasn't enough savings to waste time clipping for.

Boy was I wrong. I started watching a few threads on a message board I'm a part of and began catching onto some of the lingo. Doubling and tripling, manufacturers coupons vs store coupons and how to stack them, etc...

Hearing that people were paying a few cents for items I used or getting things free, well, I wanted to do that too! I've now been at it for about a month. It takes some work researching ads, going to 3 or 4 stores instead of one. I also find I'm making a few more trips to the store, spending more time there than usual following my coupon list rather than a quick groc. list, and I stock pile items so I have large amounts of certain things. For example, right now, I have enough cereal to feed a third world country, but I hope to even it all out in the end.

It's become addicting and well, there are definitely worse things to be addicted to. I get a sort of "high" when they ring it up, scan in my coupons and there goes $20-$50 off my total. Watching my husband put that money back in his wallet and give me a knowing smile makes me feel good, and it also helps me feel like I am helping financially, which is something I don't get to do often as a stay@home mom.

Making those frequent trips gives me a little time away from the kids, or sometimes I take one and have some one-on-one with them. It's exercise too! It's a walk I wouldn't have taken without motivation, but apparently, I'm willing to take a walk for $20. :P

Today was my best trip yet and I have to brag! This is a combined trip to Target and Walgreen's.



2 bottles of ALL x2 (my fav brand)
2 Swiss Miss mix
2 Purina dog treats
2 Old spice deodorant (Honey's fav)
2 Nivea lip gloss
1 Energizer pack (2AA)
1 Gain fabric sheets (my #1 brand)

Totaling (with tax) $19.93
Factor in the $7 Walgreen's register rewards and my total is..

$12.93

That is less than a dollar and item! I am so proud. :)

Some women actually get hundreds of groceries for free. Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQNvdKNTZUg

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is awesome! Thanks for sharing your coupon strategy, you inspired me and I caught the fever and it has begun to pay off for me too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...