Monday, August 23, 2010

Back to school

Last year, as I dropped my son off for his first day of Kindergarten, I felt that pulling in my heart, swelling in my throat, and wetness in my eyes. This year he was so "nonchalant" as he hopped out of the van and headed alone to the front doors of the school. I didn't even walk him to his class, I just let him go alone because he can do it and he wanted to. I was proud he wasn't clinging to me. I'm glad he's independent. I think he is the most interesting and charming boy on the planet and his teacher best recognize! lol



But this year as my daughter glowed from the inside out with excitement and fear of the unexpected, I had a hard time keeping it together. Jr. High is a big deal. She has such high expectations and I'm scared for her. Jr high was a difficult "coming of age" time for me and hope she has a smoother ride. She's so much more outgoing than I ever was. She's signed up for band and drama which is so front and center as apposed to my constant "low key" profile and the need to "blend in" at her age.



I feel a new era coming on in her life and our relationship. A level of trust and freedom that I don't want to give, but that she has earned. I find myself setting up safety nets for her in preparation to let her go. Talking with her about her expectations in boyfriends because I know letting her date may be around the corner. Reminding her about how to handle herself when drugs are around because this may be the year she gets approached. Discussing how hormones will affect our relationship because puberty is here.
She doesn't need the talks. She's smart. It's all for my peace of mind of course.

I'm blessed to have such a wonderful, smart, and good hearted children. It makes watching them grow up a lot easier. I hope they both have a fantastic year!

1 comment:

  1. Awe. You made my cry... lol. They look so cute! I'm so glad that you and your daughter have such a good relationship. I hope that Isabel & I have a good bond like that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...