Sunday, February 13, 2011

Thrift shopping trip

I went to a few thrift shops in town with the girls room in mind. I was disappointed! I haven't had much luck at all lately, but I did find a few things.



I got the two small star mirrors @ the Salvation Army, $1 for the pair. I got 1/2 off everything (out of the blue and we also bought the scientist a TV for $40, but knocked that down to $20!) so actually I paid a quarter a piece. They will soon be revamped. They are pretty beat up.

I also laid the paint swatch up there. Ms. Thang wants the 5th one down, Shimmering Summer pool and I want the one below it, #6 Lyric Water Dance. I'm about 90% sure we are going with her choice. It isn't photographing very well, but you get the idea. It's a lot more aqua than it looks here, and so is the trash can. Ms. Thang's color choice actually looks a lot more like this, not as dark, but in the same hue.

I got the wooden trash can @ Target in the clearance section. Not exactly thrift shop, but still thrify.


It was originally $19.99 (who pays this?) and I got it for $4.98. Ms. Thang is not very thrilled about the butterfly on the side so I might paint over it, or just get lazy and turn it around lol. I also have considered recovering it with the red polka dot wall paper I found @ a thrift shop awhile back. (also in the photo above.)

At first I thought it was wrapping paper (that is were it was stored @ Helping Hands) but then I realized it was a nice thick wall paper and glossy to the touch, almost water proof. I've thought about how to use it in the room and here are some of my ideas (although I wont use them all)

recovering the toy box (here it is now currently in the girls room.

The pillows on top are actually a very turquoise/aqua color and a bright red strawberry. I can't tell you how excited I am to get rid of that orange paint that gives everything in that room a neon glow! Everything always looks like this in there. (I got this toy box free on a local mommy website and painted the flower on it to go with the old tropical theme.)

I've also thought of using the polka dot paper on the new mirror stars, framing the paper as the background or mat to a cute print, or using it over the butterfly side of the new trash can.

There are so many things to do with it, and watch, I probably wont use it at all lol. It was $1 for the roll. Can you think of new ways to use it?

Also picked up this adorable bird..just can't say no! 75 cents


Ms. Thang and I came up with the cutest idea for "art" above their bed. I think I might just save that for the big reveal. I'm really excited about it and happy we came up with something we both like. That, in itself, is a small miracle.

I'm hoping to paint sometime this week. Still not sure of when the beds are coming in. It says something about the 21st, but you know how that goes. I am shipping them site to store for free with Walmart. I still haven't started on Ms. Thangs quilt either.
I honestly need to catch up on some housework that I've been neglecting. I could have done it yesterday, but instead spent it with the family. We went to see Gnomeo and Juliet at the drive in, followed by Tron (Honey's into that..not so much anyone else) but we had a great time.
Today I'm using every trick in the book to get the kids to help me out around the house. Threats, bribes, and music. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I actually haven't had much thrift luck either. The last time I had any great finds was the time I called you about the Chicken Chalkboard. :)

    You have so many great ideas. I can't wait for the big reveal.

    You know how Ms. Thang teases you about being matchy matchy? I just noticed that if you blog while in her bedroom, your blog can fit right in! :)


    HEY! STOP THROWING THINGS AT ME! NO, I WON'T SHUT UP! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so hilarious..hardy har har :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...